Suite ExciteMint


Ever since JetBlue introduced its premium product, Mint, I wanted to fly it.  With Mint, formerly all-economy class JetBlue ventured into a new territory.  JetBlue has entered the highly competitive U.S. transcon market fighting head-to-head with established legacies of United, American, and Delta, as well as west coast power house Virgin America.  

With the exception of Virgin America, all other airlines offer lie-flat seats in the transcon market.  United with their “p.s.” (Premium Service) 757s, American with their new A321“T” (Transcon), and Delta with their “Delta One” international cabin 757/767s.  In an age of airlines “racing to the bottom”, it is refreshing to see U.S. airlines recognizing a need and answering the demand for a premium product.  With the transcon market locked up in a four-way battle - each airline with their loyal fliers - can yet another airline enter the same market taking a piece of the same pie?   

For the all-Blue airline that added a hint of green, the answer is an emphatic YES! Mint service has been so successful that the program has expanded beyond the core San Francisco/Los Angeles – New York market.  Mint can now be found on long distance markets in Boston, the Caribbean, and Florida.

Suite Score

On a recent work trip from San Francisco (SFO), I got rerouted to fly JetBlue to Boston (BOS) at the last minute.  Looking at the seatmap, my flight was very lightly loaded on that Tuesday.  Better yet, there was a number of Suite seats available in Mint.  Being a daytime light, I decided to upgrade my ticket in order to fully experience Mint.  

JetBlue’s 16-seat Mint cabin is configured in alternating rows of 2-2 and 1-1 seats.  Seat-pairs are known as “Mint Seats” while the single seats are known as “Mint Suite”.  While there is no cost difference between the two seat types, the Suite features a sliding door for increased privacy, first for an U.S. airline.  




Prior to the flight being under gate-control, the only way to upgrade to Mint from “Core” (economy) ticket is to get your ticket reissued as a Mint ticket.  In other words, the “upgrade fee” is simply the fare difference between Core and Mint.  There are no options to upgrade while checking-in on-line nor at the ticket counter.  Since I did not pay for my original ticket, my only option was to pay the standard $549 upgrade fee at the gate.

JetBlue utilizes SFO's International Terminal

Not knowing any of this prior to my trip, I arrived at SFO sufficiently early.  Fortunately, both the ticket counter and security lines were short and I arrived at gate A3 well before agents were open for check-in.  After confirming seat 4F was still available, I broke out my credit card and paid the upgrade fee.


ExciteMint is in the Air

Boarding commenced shortly thereafter, more than 40 minutes prior to the 7:50 am departure time. Stepping on board, I was greeted with stylish Mint seats in contrasting black leather and white plastic casted in cool blue-purple mood lighting.  

Amusingly enough, B and F seats were labeled as “center” seats.  I couldn’t help but laugh that I had just paid over $500 for a middle seat.  


The dreaded middle seat?  Not really.

More like your own throne!




A thick blanket, pillow, amenity kit, and a welcome card signed by Jeff and Jessica were waiting at each seat.   



Jeff introduced himself and welcomed me on board.  He asked whether it was my first-time flying Mint.  “Yes,” I replied.  With all of my photo taking, it was pretty obvious.  He congratulated me on the “nice score” on the suite.  Jeff then introduced seat features, pointing out that the seat-back display is a touch screen but noted it is a lot easier to use the remote control instead.  There is also a Do Not Disturb light (“wake me for service” light), more useful on redeye flights, I think.  

Remote control and seat adjustments

Do Not Disturb is the button light at the left


Very thoughtful design for phone charging



After takeoff, he would unlock the suite sliding door for additional privacy.  He then gave me “the most important thing…the menu”, pointing out the first three items were served cold.  I was offered a drink.  I went with the “Signature Honey Infused Limeaid with Mint (without vodka)”.  Jeff invited me to continue to take all photos I want.  



Brunch menu  
Meal is served tapas style, choosing from two or three items in the menu.  
I love the “Gastro Glossary” for those of us with unsophisticated palates.



There were numerous Mint newbies onboard given Jeff was providing seat introductions all around. Many economy passengers boarding noted the fancy Mint seats.  Some said they would upgrade on their next flight.

A retro-styled “Grado Labs Series 60” headset was handed out.  Flight attendant noted it was to be collected before the end of the flight, when I would be given a disposable headset.  I later learned Grado Labs is a Brooklyn-based company well-known for their open-air headphones.  Highly rated and I assume deservedly so.  However, since their headphone was not noise cancelling, I still preferred my Bose.  




Given our light load, boarding was complete 20 minutes before departure.  A number of Even More Space seats were still available and an announcement was made offering them for sale.  Captain added that our flight time was expected to be five hours at an altitude of 39,000 feet.

Terminal 1 under construction

The Flight

Aircraft:  Airbus A321-231
Registration:  N967JT  ExciteMint is in the Air
msn:  7257
Delivered:  August 2016 (age 1 year)

Flight:  B6 436
Scheduled Departure – Arrival:  7:50 am – 4:29 pm 
Actual Departure – Arrival:  7:40 am (gate A3A) – 4:12 pm (gate C9)
Takeoff SFO Runway 01R:  8:01 am
Land BOS Runway 04R:  4:07 pm
Flight Duration:  5 hours 6 minutes




We quickly reached the queue for Runway 01R given the short distance from the A-concourse.   After waiting for our turn due to arrivals on the cross runway, my flight to Boston was underway.  After takeoff, Jeff returned and closed my suite door offered to take down anyone’s carry-on stored in the overhead.  He also unpacked blankets and discarded the plastic bag.  Nice touch!  


ATC channel – no workie

Suite door closed

I reclined my seat and extended the legrest to a more comfortable position.  Unfortunately, the legrest does not extend very far, leaving my feet hanging from my short legs.  I repositioned myself and adjusted the seat so that my feet can get into the foot well.  


Properly adjusted relax mode

I was excited to see the Air Traffic Control (ATC) station on the audio channel, remembering that one of JetBlue’s transcon competitors is United with their ATC audio, Channel 9.  Disappointingly, the ATC channel was silent (not unlike United Channel 9 nowadays).  I asked Jeff if the captain is willing to turn it on.  Jessica later returned and apologized for the channel not working.  She said someone always want to listen to it, but despite her writing it up every flight, the channel never seems to work.  I later found out via a google search that the airline (has not/will not) turn on ATC audio for whatever reason.  




Jessica distributed hot towels and then took drink and brunch orders.  I was loving the mint limeaid so I decided to continue with that.  When Jessica returned with my drink, she emphasized, “here is your signature mint limeaid”.  She then offered me a tasting of the cherry pomegranate smoothie.  Not sure why it was a “tasting” since it was listed on the menu. 




Jessica served the Mint cabin while Jeff prepared meals in the galley.  While my drink was promptly refilled, pace of the service felt slow. I finally received my meal one hour 15 minutes into the flight.  Served tapas style, my brunch choice consisted of corn soup with lobster, omelet with potato and sausage, and fresh fruit.  The Saxon+Parole corn soup was very tasty and the lobster gave it a nice high-end touch.  There was nothing special with the omelet, it was just your generic hot airline breakfast dish.  I always appreciate fresh cut fruit – refreshing and healthy.  Interestingly, for a high-end meal service, the napkin was low-end paper.  




Incorporating “Mint” across service was obvious (nourishMint, refreshMint, Mint Limeaid, etc).  However, while I was having my meal, I realized the rectangular tapered corner Mint shape was everywhere.  On dishware, the tray table, even on a card and paper clip in the amenity kit.  JetBlue really went the extra mile to ensure the branding was visible throughout the flying experience – whether you realize it or not.  




Feeling satisfied after that elegant brunch, Jessica promptly picked up my tray.  She offered me lemon sorbet and “a hot beverage, perhaps?”.  I went with cappuccino.   The cap was topped with beautiful foam with a contrasting espresso “dot”.  I was impressed with such an elegant drink onboard a plane.  Jessica said they have an espresso maker on board with a milk foamer.  I thought the Brooklyn Roasting Company espresso was quite balanced.  I liked it very much and ordered another.  Contrastingly, the lemon sorbet was too sweet for my taste.  Unable to balance it with my cappuccino, I left my sorbet half eaten.  My meal service was completed two hours into the flight.



With my brunch finished, I reclined my bed to the fully flat position – not for a nap, but for photos!  Jessica offered to set up the bed for me which I politely declined.  She suggested using the amenity kit to stage the photo.  Great idea!  







A self-service bar is located next to door R2, between the Mint and Core cabins.  Nicely lit in blue light, it was fully stocked with usual selection of soft drinks and JetBlue’s signature blue snacks.  Jessica explained locating the self-service bar at mid cabin works a lot better than on the A320, which is in the aft galley, out of the way from flight attendants performing their duties.  





I think passengers receive the best value flying on JetBlue.  Along with free satellite TV, the airline also offers free Wi-Fi for everyone on board.  Yes, including those flying economy.  Fly-Fi, JetBlue’s Ka-band satellite-based wifi service, touts speeds “as fast as home or work”.  Browsing the web on my smartphone, I thought the speed was equivalent to free hotel Wi-Fi (i.e., acceptably fast, but not that fast).  Unfortunately, I did not run a speed test.  




Unlike Wi-Fi service on other airlines, you are also able to stream on-line video. I played back DVR’d shows from two on-line video services: YouTube TV and Netflix.  YouTube TV played back my program at low resolution while Netflix was in glorious HD.  To ensure this was not an anomaly, I tested both services again and got the same result.   I also played an ordinary YouTube video.  Again, content played back at low resolution.  


Streaming Netflix at 40,000 feet - a first for me!

About two hours before landing, Jessica came through the cabin with a basket of “our signature snacks”.  Fresh whole fruit (apples and oranges) were offered in addition to the usual selection of blue snacks.  



Chicago and Lake Michigan

Before landing hot towels were distributed about 40 minutes to go.  It was followed by the ever helpful before-descend-seat-belt-on warning from the cockpit.   

Speaking of which...





Jessica came by and reminded me my camera stored in the bin next to my seat.  “Already put it away,” I replied but thanked (and appreciated) her for remembering that from earlier in the flight.

Finally, 30 minutes before landing came the last service – the farewell cookie.  “Mr. Wang, it's a pleasure having you on board Mint today, we have a rainbow cookie for you.”  “I have been looking forward to this!”  I see the point of the cookie as a goodbye gift, nicely boxed to be eaten later. However, I thought this gourmet cookie would have been better served as a mid-flight snack – warmed of course.  The already pre-packaged signature snacks could be used as goodbye snacks just as well. 




Finally, Jeff collected the fancy Grado Labs headphones and traded them with “disposable” earbuds.  They were in a nice reusable faux wool case which can be doubled as a phone case.  Meanwhile, flight attendants helped passengers restow their carry-on bags up the overhead bins.  




Below us, Boston was under partly cloudy skies.  The city skyline and Logan Airport peeked through.  We flew on an extended downwind southbound before turning north on a 20-mile final for Runway 04R.  







Five hours and six minutes after departing San Francisco, we touched down in Boston.  A short five-minute taxi later, we parked at gate C9 completing my fresh minty-blue experience.  


Surprisingly enough, BOS hosts two Hainan Airlines flights

Yes, it was an awesome flight!

Upon exiting, Jessica smiled warmly as we exchanged our goodbyes.  “Mr. Wang, I hope you enjoyed your flight and hope to see you again soon!”  Charmed, I managed a simple “me too!”

Final Thoughts



I was truly impressed with JetBlue’s Mint.  Flight attendants Jessica and Jeff provided top notch service.  They performed their jobs with utmost professionalism along with genuinely warmth and sincerity.  Based upon from what I read, this was not unique to my crew.  High levels of service on JetBlue Mint is a consistent comment.  I will go as far as saying the service I received on my Mint flight was comparable to those I have experienced on Singapore Airlines.  And that’s saying something!

As for the hard product, I did not get a chance to sleep in my Suite, so I cannot judge the true comfort of the bed nor the true privacy of the sliding door.  Having said that, seating comfort was excellent.  Heck, you are in your own throne!  Thoughtful touches like consistent but subtle branding gives a level of elegance that you may not notice but your subconscious would appreciate.  Top it off with free satellite TV and free satellite Wi-Fi (that allows you to stream video), JetBlue’s Mint offers an extremely competitive product and gives customers from other airlines a compelling reason to jump ship.

I would not hesitate dropping another $500+ to fly JetBlue Mint again.  The all-blue airline had truly earned its green leaf!

Comments