My Farewell to the MAAd Dog

Super80Sendoff – My Final Flights on the American MD-80


September 4th, 2019 saw the final flights of American Airlines once ubiquitous MD-80.  Launched in 1981 by McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach as the DC-9-80 series, the company marketed it as the “Super 80 – the plane for the 1980s”.  When American Airlines picked up its initial 25 aircraft, they proudly utilized that “Super 80” moniker. 




By way of the TWA merger in 2001, American’s MD-80 fleet eventually peaked to 360 aircraft.  Impressively by 2004, 49% of American’s fleet were comprised of MD-80s!  As MD-80s became older, newer aircraft such as the A320 family and 737-800, which were quieter and more fuel efficient, joined the fleet.  As more newer aircraft came into service, more MD-80s were removed from service and moved to the desert for storage.  Some aircraft went into service with other airlines while most were scrapped.  The cockpit section of MD-82 N559AA was saved in 2018 and is now on permanent display at the airline’s C.R. Smith Museum in Fort Worth, Texas near DFW airport. 




I have decided to make Labor Day weekend 2019 as my personal Super 80 Sendoff weekend.  In order to get my last fill on the American MD-80, I scheduled myself on three flights:  Dallas-Ft Worth (DFW) to St. Louis (STL) and back, culminating on the final MD-80 flight from DFW to Chicago-O’Hare (ORD).  That final flight was appropriated numbered flight AA 80.  Looking at my log, I had flown on 27 MD-80 flights on American, the first in 1988 from San Jose (SJC) to ORD.  Prior to this weekend, my last flight was in 2015, from DFW to SJC.  In between those years, I flew on the MD-80 up and down the West Coast to places like Seattle, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles, in addition to the expected hub flights.  Some other interesting routes included SJC to Vancouver and SJC to Denver (back during American SJC hub days). 

By the end of August 2019, only 26 MD-80s remained with American.  Though while passing through the airline’s DFW hub, one would never know it.  In its final days, MD-80 fleet were kept on short flights to and from DFW.  While over Terminals A and C on the Skylink train, it seemed every MD-80, with their distinctive classic buffed aluminum livery, can be seen mingling with their contemporaries.  I was in awe seeing the large number of MD-80s at DFW.  I photographed every single one that I saw.  It was funny because years prior, American MD-80s were everywhere and absolutely no one cared.  With almost 400 airplanes, would you?



Day 1

Flight AA 2622
Dallas-Ft Worth (DFW) to St. Louis (STL)
McDonnell Douglas MD-82
Registration (msn/ln):  N501AA (49738/1648)
Aircraft Delivered: Oct, 1989
Flight Time:  1:17



On my first Super 80 Sendoff flight, I got lucky and flew on Ship 501.  Out of the 26 MD-80s left flying, this aircraft was the only one remaining MD-82 originally delivered to American Airlines.  All other aircraft in the fleet were MD-83s, originally delivered to TWA. 



Stepping on board, I smiled broadly when I was hit that that pungent yet familiar “classic airplane” smell – a mix of fabric, jet fuel, and stale coffee.  My smile widened when I saw the dark blue seats:  square and triangular fabric with leather adjustable headrest.  I was instantly reminded of my formable years as a new business traveler when American transition to these “More Room Throughout Coach” seats in 2000.  Back then, I got so excited when I boarded an American flight with these seats, because they were so comfortable and so novel with the adjustable headrests!




On this flight, I treated myself to First Class.  I wanted to experience one last time the quietness of the MadDog upfront.  I can tell these seats had accumulated many miles:  the seat recline lever was polished to a smooth shine and the seat cushions had “I have been here too long” back and buttock indentations in the fabric. 




Despite all that, I was comfortable.  Flight attendant kept the drink well open from beginning to end.  Best of all, all I heard was the hissing of the air conditioners.  There were no sound from the engines.  Did they start?  Are we taxiing out to the runway on our own power?  I would never know.   

My seat mate, an American frequent elite level flyer, had no idea that the MD-80 was retiring within days.  I told him about the significance of our aircraft, Ship 501.  He took some photos to remind him of his last flight on the MD-80.



With the flight scheduled just shy of two hours (actual flying time was just over 1 hour), even in First Class, I had low expectations of service.  I was pleasantly surprised.  The flight attendant kept on returning the snack basket, filled with an excellent variety of packaged snacks.  She encouraged us, “why not take one of each?”.  The bar was open the entire flight and she offered continual drink service.  Even upon descend, she asked: “anything else to drink?”  I was quite impressed of the service even on a short flight!

After the arrival, I visited the Flight Deck and chatted with the pilots.  I pointed out to them that message board traffic on the internet had reported Ship 501 would fly the final MD-80 flight on September 4th.  Both pilots smiled and said they would not bet on it.  Apparently, since the MD-80s were on their last days, aircraft swaps and substitutions were common, as I would find out on my next flight. 




Day 2

Flight AA 385
St. Louis (STL) to Dallas-Ft Worth (DFW)
McDonnell Douglas MD-83
Registration (msn/ln):  N9681B (53631/2284)
Aircraft Delivered: Nov, 1999 to TWA
Flight Time:  1:13



I chose to fly in and out of St. Louis because American had flights throughout the day between DFW and STL using the MD-80.  I wanted to have a backup in case something happened.  The night before departure, I noticed the inbound flight from DFW that would turn back in the morning as my flight was a 737-800.  American’s flight status page still showed my flight in the morning as a MD-80, but it was obvious from the seat map that indeed, the aircraft type was going to be a 737.

Execute Plan B.  I didn’t want to exercise this option since it would cost extra.  But I had to do it since the MD-80 was the whole reason why I was doing this trip.  It ended up costing me $75 to make a same day flight change with a confirm seat.  A window seat was available on a later flight, but it was not to my preference.  I had a perfect engine view seat (29F) reserved on my original flight and now I had to sit elsewhere.   I broke out the credit card out of my wallet and paid for the flight change, all the while grumbling. 

Taking a later flight gave me another opportunity to experience the delicious Blueberry Waffles at the Waffle House next to my hotel.  At certain parts of the country, Waffle House is just an ordinary (and simple) American Diner.  This one had excellent and friendly service with their delicious inexpensive food.  Despite its mundaneness, with me from California, Waffle House was still a fun novelty. 




I arrived at STL in time to photograph my inbound flight taxiing up to the gate.  Aircraft N9681B was one of the final deliveries made to TWA in 1999.  One hour before departure, I received a seat alert from expertflyer, which I had set up the previous evening.  One of the engine view seats had opened up.  It was 29F.  What luck!  With my hands shaking, I quickly went into the American app and switched my seat. 



I found a perfectly crystal clear window at my row.  Hallelujah!  It seemed someone wanted to make this happen for me.  I was beaming ear-to-ear.  I mounted my camera on the window and let it roll. 



There was a stark contrast in volume between the front and the back of the MD-80 (indeed, this applies to all DC-9 series aircraft).  There was no doubt the Pratt & Whitney JT8D powers this aircraft: that unmistakable high pitch shrill performing a symphony that only an avgeek would love! 



It was a treat for the senses when seated in this row: the view of the engine and the fan hub over your shoulder while listening to that distinctive whine.  I have flown the MD-80 in the very last row, that window seat with the engine blocking the view.  While seated there, my voice crackled while my ears went deaf.  A fine demonstration of acoustics properties that probably was unintended by the aircraft designers at Douglas.  No, on this day, there was none of that discomfort in Row 29.

Rows 31-32 AB in the back of the plane with engine blocking view out the window


Here is my video of that flight.  We held for about five minutes prior to taking the runway at STL in order to queue up with the flow into DFW.  Other than that boring part edited out, you will see the full pushback, taxi out, takeoff, climb out, approach, landing, and taxi in.  The cruise is in time lapse.  It is without music for that full adulterated avgeek JT8D experience! 




Despite me wearing my “Super 80” shirt, no one said or acknowledged anything to me.  With two days to retirement, I thought that was rather strange.  That’s until after we landed.  The forward flight attendant announced the pending retirement of the MD-80.  After we parked at the gate, the pilots also quoted the total number of hours and cycles for this aircraft (unfortunately I had already stopped the camera at that point). 



When I stepped out of my row, the flight attendant serving my section asked whether I was a pilot or flight attendant.  I responded, “neither – just an enthusiast”.  He was taken back by that.  Unlike the flight attendants on my first flight, he did not hesitate allowing me taking photos of the cabin prior to exiting.  The pilot had already vacated the Flight Deck and was welcoming anyone to take photos.  I thoroughly enjoyed this flight – an experience well worth the extra $75!



Day 3

Flight AA 80
Dallas-Ft Worth (DFW) to Chicago-O’Hare (ORD)
McDonnell Douglas MD-83
Registration (msn/ln):  N984TW (53634/2287)
Last MD-80 Produced
Aircraft Delivered: Dec, 1999 to TWA
Flight Time:  1:46






Night before the final flight, I went to the ticket counter to request a printout of my boarding pass as a keepsake.  I wanted it to be on cardstock, not flimsy thermal paper from the self check-in kiosk.  The customer service agent did not bat an eye when I made my request.  As I found out, I was not the first person who made the request that night. 

I arrived at Terminal C shortly after 7 am, two hours prior to departure.  The sun was beginning to rise and American’s final MD-80 flights were just arriving at the DFW hub.  At the gate, the retirement party was already in full swing.  After getting my obligatory photos in front of the MD-80 balloons and backdrop, I boogied on to the Skylink train to get photos of the last DFW sunrise over American MadDogs.



For the final revenue flight, MD-83 Ship 4YU, registration N984TW (msn/ln 53634/2287) was appropriately selected to fly flight AA 80.  This aircraft was the final MD-80 produced.  N984TW rolled off Boeing’s former Douglas aircraft factory in Long Beach, California in December, 1999 and was delivered to TWA.  TWA named this plane “Spirit of Long Beach”, as a tribute to its Californian heritage. 



There was quite a celebration at Gate C2, amassed with reporters, cameras, employees, and enthusiasts from all walks of life.  American’s DFW operations manager and maintenance manager (retired) made speeches and flight attendant Patty shared interesting antidotes working the MD-80.  CEO Doug Parker was also on hand greeting customers and employees alike. 

Two Super 80 fans pose with flight AA 80 flight attendants (L to R) Linette, Nancy, Katie, and Jake.  They competed to be on this special flight (Photo:  Bernie Leighton)


Tables were set up for refreshments, but either they were not ready in time or were not intended for our flight.  Boarding began earlier than the 8:30 am advertised time – and they needed all that time.  When my Group 6 was called, quite a long (and slow-moving) line had formed in the jetway.  Passengers were allowed to board five at a time, giving us some time to linger in line to chat with fellow passengers and to get photos taken with CEO Doug Parker.



In the interest of completing boarding quickly, staff was efficiently moving people through the boarding door:  hand your camera to the designated photographer, pose next to the door, two clicks, get your camera back, board the plane.



I arrived at my seat 27F to find a goodie bag and a nicely decorated envelope personalized with my seat number.  Number one flight attendant Linette had made those bonus kits for everyone on her own time and money.  A “Thank You” card was personally signed by all the flight attendants.  What a nice gesture!



The goodie bag contained farewell cards, a hat, mug, and my favorite - a challenge coin!

Despite the mad house at the gate and long line on the jetway, we managed to push back only two minutes late. The mood on board was definitely jovial. Everyone applauded whenever something special was announced.

Fire engines were positioned for a water cannon salute but it was not for our flight. I later learned one of the retirement flights to the desert in Roswell, New Mexico got the water cannon.

It was a long taxi to the west side of the airport.  We used Runway 18L for the benefit of the crowd watching for our departure from DFW’s excellent airplane spotting park, Founders Plaza.

AA 80 pilots Capt Beetle (L) and Capt Kunasek (R)


Prior to taking the runway, pilots Captain Clint Beetle and Captain Greg Kunasek made formal welcome remarks. Capt Kunasek was American’s MD-80 Fleet and Training Manager while Capt Beetle, a veteran pilot of the MD-80, flew the MadDog since 1987 and had accumulated over 21,000 hours on the type. For Capt Beetle, it was a bittersweet day. He said humorously, “thanks to all of you for paying for my mortgage, kid’s college, braces…it’s been a great career (on the MD-80)”.  Still with 5 years to go until retirement, Capt Beetle lamented, “on my next airplane, I will probably have to learn French!” 

With a ring of the double chime, the twin JT8Ds came to life with their distinctive high pitch whine as we lined up on 18L.  There was no hold, the whine now a buzzy roar, we immediately rolled for takeoff.  It was a long takeoff run.  We rotated near Taxiway WL intersection, about 8000 feet down the runway.  Out of my window, I saw our shadow chasing alongside as we pulled away into the air, creating a neat effect. 



We made a sweeping bank to the right over Fort Worth, turning north back towards DFW.  Climbing through 10,000 feet, Flight Attendant Jake made the customary cabin service announcement.  He liberally sprinkled humor throughout, drawing laughter from everyone on board.  In an appropriate send off to the MD-80’s notoriously unreliable internet service, Jake declared: “Wifi service is available on today’s flight…it will not work…we also offer streaming video out the window…”

In economy class, everyone received complimentary alcoholic beverages and a choice of cheese plate or turkey bacon breakfast sandwich. 



Passengers were in a party mood and mingled in the aisles while service was underway.  Flight attendants, in a jovial mood as well, did not seem to mind the minor hinderances and worked their way through the party. 



I was seated next to two interesting American Airlines employees (one retired, one active), both with ties to the MD-80. 

John “The Mayor” Judge was the Managing Director of Aircraft Maintenance at DFW.  Mr. Judge is an approachable guy.   Airline staff flying on the flight were excited to see “Mr. Mayor” and he garnered handshakes and selfies alike.  Judge chuckled, “I actually forgot they called me “the mayor!”  He earned that nickname because he “made a point to say hello to everybody and make a new friend everyday”. 

Upon learning that I am an airplane enthusiast, Mr. Mayor pulled out a piece of paper out of his pocket and told me that N984TW had accumulated 53,605 hours of ship time and 27,817 cycles.  He compared that to N203AA, American’s first MD-80, which flew between 1983 and 2007.  That aircraft had around 74,000 hours during those 23 years when it went to the desert for storage. 



Allie Hurt is a Maintenance Data Record Planner at American Airlines Technical Operations Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  This flight was an emotional journey for Allie.  She had won her seat in an employee contest and did not get final confirmation until less than 24 hours before departure.  Since the MD-80 went back three generations in Hurt’s family, that made the flight extra special.  Allie’s grandfather, who retired in the 2000s, worked at McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach and saw the production of the MD-80 to completion.  Allie’s father is a mechanic at American and worked on the MD-80 heavy maintenance “pulse line” at Tulsa.  And up until the conclusion of American’s MD-80 operations, Allie ensured the JT8D’s engine maintenance records were in order to FAA standards. 

Upon reaching cruising altitude of 29,000 feet, Capt Beetle returned to the PA. He introduced the crew and thanked everyone for being on this special flight, “we are thrilled that you all love this airplane as much as we do and made all the effort to be on it today.”

The cabin was in full party mode. It was noisy filled with laughter. Some were hanging out in the aisles while most conversed with their likeminded neighbors. Overheard from more than one person: “this is the most fun I have ever had on a flight!” 



Descending through 21,000 feet, Capt Kanasek announced that “it is time to say your goodbyes!  Somebody at Chicago knew we were coming.  They tell us to go fast, because we are number one.”  In fact, we received expedited handling from air traffic control throughout the flight – from beginning to end. 

It took awhile to get service item picked up, since everyone had food and drinks.  It has hindered by the crowd still hanging out in the aisle.  It was difficult to get people seated back down. Some people started signing the cabin walls and overhead bins with a sharpie marker which opened the floodgates.  Everyone now had to make their mark. 



The best artwork was this beautiful rendering of the Mad Dog:



Two safety cards got passed around for everyone to sign. They were to be donated to the airline’s CR Smith Museum for their collection.

Flight Attendant Jake made one last joke: “ladies and gentlemen, we have an exciting offer for you today…60,000 bonus miles!”  Everyone busted out in laughter. 

With a bit of emotion in his voice, Capt Beetle declared, “this is the last Super 80 prepare for landing that you will ever hear from American Airlines: flight attendants, please prepare for landing”.

It was difficult to switch off the party mode.  Once everyone finally got seated, the cabin finally settled down. For those of us in the back of the plane, it was nice listening to the JT8Ds being throttled up and down during approach to Runway 10C.

One hour and 44 minutes after taking off from DFW, Capt Beetle greased the landing at Chicago O’Hare to the thunderous applause of all on board.  The braking and reverse motion was relatively mild as we had a long taxi ahead. 

Jake wanted everyone to know that Linette personally made the envelopes for everyone on board. We thanked her with an enthusiastic applause. Flight AA 80 blocked in at Gate K5 at 11:26 am, 9 minutes early, to one last applause from everyone on board. Disappointingly, there was no water cannon salute upon arrival.



Just like boarding, deplaning was a lengthy process. Everyone wanted photos and autographs with the pilots.

Someone joked, “no one is in a hurry to go anywhere anyway”. As soon as he said that, two ladies seated behind us tried to make their way up. Apparently they were “real” passengers!  With help from the crew - they managed their way up and off the plane to make their connection to somewhere.



After the crew encouraged those remaining to hurry and deplane, I finally stepped off American’s last MD-80 about 30 minutes after arrival.  Stepping into the gate area, I was warmly welcomed by applause from the staff.  It was unexpected and put a big smile on my face.



The party continued at the gate.  Like DFW, ORD was also festively decorated with balloons and a stage with MD-80 backdrop.  We were all treated to Chicago Dogs and cake.  I didn’t have time to linger for speeches and watch the pushback to the desert.  I needed to say my goodbyes as I had a connection to an United flight back home in Terminal 1.



American Airlines did a magnificent job retiring the Super 80.  Kudos goes out to everyone at the airline for making the entire #Super80SendOff experience fun and memorable.  Extra commendation goes out to the crew of flight AA 80 for going the extra mile to make the flight something special in the air!



Comments

  1. Very nice read! What a fitting tribute to the mAAd dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice account. I'm not an enthusiast, but I'm glad they acknowledged the service put in by the plane, pilots, and crew. I'm happy too that you got to participate in the farewell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article Ben!... & reminded me of one of the more unique features of the MAAD Dog... being able to back itself out with those high-angled rear engines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zkxh903s_w

    Never forget seeing this at DFW for the first time and seeing this plane backing up tug-less!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment