Incredible Iguazu

With only one country and one week remaining,  my trip around the world is almost complete.  I am only four time zones away from home!


Iguazu Falls, on the border between Argentina and Brazil, was one of the most incredible places I have ever been.  Iguazu means big water; huge water was more like it!  Words cannot describe how awesome of sight it was. And the deafening sound from the roar of fallen water. And the power felt from vibrations on the handrails.


At 1.7 miles wide, Iguazu Falls is the widest waterfall in the world.  Consisting of about 275 falls, there are trails both above and below the falls allowing visitor to walk all around.








Color of the water was different over my two-day trip.  This had to do with conditions upstream (rain, etc) causing mud to churn in the river.

Mist obscured parts of the fall which created a dreamlike scene. The lower falls were perpetually wet.



A train took visitors to Garganta del Diablo (Devil's Throat), which is the largest waterfall in the chain. 


Half of the river empties at this narrow chasm on the eastern end.  This is the king of the falls at Iguazu. 

Garganta del Diablo viewed from afar.  The land at the left is Brazil, right is Argentina.


A long elevated walkway took visitors right up to the edge for a close up view.  Again, the land across the water is Brazil (which I did not go; separate visa required).



One of the most popular activities at Iguazu is the boat trip under the falls. The jet boat maneuvers haphazardly on approach to the falls to get the adrenalin pumping before taking riders two dips under two different falls (i.e. four dips total).


Of course, I had to take the boat ride, as it was recommended by all the reviews and travel books.  I recall one of the travel guides described the Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls as a ride in the bathtub by comparison.  Boy, was that accurate!  When the water rushed over me, I couldn't even open my eyes to see what was going on.  Everything I wore got soaked.  I am not talking about damp or slightly wet.  Everything from my socks and underwear and on up got absolutely soaked.  (Camera survived - they gave everyone bags for stuff you didn't want to get wet.)


As for lodging, there is a town nearby where most stay.  Again, as suggested by reviewers, staying at the only hotel in the park was highly recommended as it allowed you to beat the tour bus crowd.  Splurging for a fall-view room was recommended as well, because after paying over $200 per night for a room, what's another $50?


$300 view from my patio.  The room was luxurious as well.   Too bad I only stayed here for one night.  Then again, I only had budget for one night.


Previous posts from this trip:
  1. Down Under for Some Tight-Assed Fish
  2. My Travels to Middle Earth
  3. My First "Super" Flight 
  4. Impressions of Phuket
  5. Steamed Out in Turkey 
  6. Bobbing Down the Bosphorus
  7. The Big Five 

Comments